The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a planning charge that we can levy on new developments in our area.
The money can be used to fund important infrastructure identified in the Local Plan 2012-28 Core Strategy, such as road schemes or additional school places.
CIL works alongside Section 106 Agreements, which deal with site-specific infrastructure needs.
We must follow the process set out in government regulations before we can adopt a CIL:
- Up-to-date evidence base required for CIL charging schedule
- Preliminary draft CIL charging schedule
- Public consultation
- Draft charging schedule
- Public consultation and submission
- Independent examination in public
- Adoption of CIL charging schedule
The CIL preliminary draft charging schedule, covering the district outside the Yorkshire Dales National Park, was published for consultation from 24 October 2016 to 2 December 2016. But further work has been halted until the Government outlines its reforms to the developer contributions in the autumn Budget 2017.