Advice for development proposals
We provide pre-application advice for all development proposals as part of a positive and proactive planning service.
We welcome and encourage early discussions with anyone considering development.
Providing pre-application advice is time consuming and costly, and can only be made available within the resources available. We therefore now have to charge for advice on all proposals for new housing, including conversion schemes, and for larger development schemes, to recover the costs. Unfortunately the current statutory planning fees don't cover the cost of this pre-application advice. The income raised from charging for this pre-application advice is channelled into improving the service and ensuring that some of the cost of providing advice doesn't fall to the council tax payer.
However, advice for property owners on all other smaller and medium-scale development continues to be available free of charge.
We also provide a “duty planner” service providing informal advice and guidance.
What are the benefits of pre-application advice?
The benefits of pre-application discussions include:
- A clearer understanding of how national and local policies may influence proposals
- Identifying those proposals that would have limited chance of success, so potentially saving the cost of pursuing a formal application
- An opportunity to improve schemes at an early stage
- Identifying need for specialist input at an early stage
- A shared understanding of constraints and opportunities
- Agreeing information requirements
- Establishing timescales and explaining administrative processes
- Reducing the time taken from submission to decision on the application itself
Service provision and charges
- 10 or more dwellings/ over half a hectare/ building(s) exceeds 1000m²
- Office / light industrial - 1000 plus m² / 1 plus hectare
- General industrial - 1000 plus m² / 1 plus hectare
- Retail - 1000+plus m² / 1 plus hectare
- Site area exceeds 1 hectare
Minor commercial and housing development
- 1-5 dwellings (unless floor space exceeds 1000m² / under half a hectare)
- 6-9 dwellings (unless floor space exceeds 1000m²/ under half a hectare)
- Office/light industrial - up to 999 m²/ under 1 hectare (except change of use)
- General industrial - 999 m² / under 1 hectare (except change of use)
- Retail - upto 999m²/ under 1 hectare (except change of use)
- Household applications
- Minor changes of use (no operational development)
- Listed building extensions / alterations
- Listed building demolition
- Application for relevant demolition of an unlisted building within a Conservation Area
- Certificates of Lawfulness (191 and 192)
- Permissions in Principle (PiP) and Technical Detail Consent (TDC)
Apart from the exemptions listed below, the following fees will be charged for pre-application advice in respect of any site or development proposal that falls into the above definition. In addition, the prospective developer will be responsible for the cost of any independent technical advice not available in-house.
|Service||Major development||Minor commercial & housing development||Strategic development||Other development||Exemptions|
|Services provided||Fee payable
|Fee payable (including VAT)||Fee payable (including VAT)||Fee payable
|Response to a formal request for planning advice involving preliminary research, liaison with consultees, meeting with Planning Case Officer (on site if necessary) and provision of written appraisal with additional follow up advice as appropriate|| £800.00
|| 1 to 5 dwellings - £250.00
6 to 9 dwellings - £550.00
Minor office, retail, industrial - £250.00
|Price to be agreed following
discussion with Planning Team
|No fee||No fee|
Exemptions (no fee payable):
• Development by Town and Parish Councils/Meetings for non-commercial purposes
• Registered housing providers for 100% affordable schemes
• Agricultural buildings (unless for intensive agricultural purposes).
For further information about the process for obtaining pre-application advice and to complete an application form, view our pre-application planning advice document.