Richmondshire District Council

When is planning permission needed?

You generally need planning permission if you want to build something new, make major alterations to a building, or change the use of a building.

It's your responsibility to seek the necessary approval required for the work you plan to do.

If your project needs planning permission and you do the work without getting it, an “enforcement notice” can be served ordering you to undo all the changes you've made.

You can, however, carry out certain types of work without the need for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

You can check if your proposed work falls under permitted development using the common projects section at the Planning Portal. The portal is the home of planning and building regulations and the national planning application service for England and Wales.

The section includes more than 50 common building work projects for the home including:

  • Conservatories
  • Extensions
  • Fences
  • Garage and loft conversions
  • Porches

Please note that from 13 September 2021 changes are being made to our planning service and the householder enquiry service will be suspended and our duty planner service will be restricted to cover emergency cases only. For further details visit our contact with planning officers page

Other permissions

  • Listed building consent is required if you want to alter a listed building inside or outside
  • Conservation area properties are subject to extra planning controls 
  • Change of useIf you want to change the use of a building you might not need planning permission if the current and proposed use are in the same "use class." Most external building work that comes with a change of use is likely to need planning permission
  • A lawful development certificate provides confirmation of whether planning permission is needed. If it isn't, you'll get a certificate confirming this. If you do need planning permission, you'll have to make a formal planning application. You can also apply for a certificate of lawfulness relating to work to a listed building 
  • Advertisement consent may be needed if you want to put up a sign or advert

Planning in the national park

The Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority is responsible for planning in the national park. More information is available on the authority's website.

Building control

Local councils are responsible for making sure that buildings are properly designed and built to ensure the health, safety, welfare and convenience of people using them.

All building work must comply with current Building Regulations.

The North Yorkshire Building Control Partnership (NYBCP) provides the building control service for us, along with Hambleton, Ryedale, Scarborough and Selby councils.

More information us available at the partnership's website.

You can also find information and advice about Building Regulations and associated approved documents via the Planning Portal

A to Z of Services