Richmondshire District Council

Register for self or custom build projects

We have a duty to keep a register of people who are interested in self-build or custom-build projects in our area.

It provides an indication of the demand for self-build and custom housebuilding in Richmondshire and allows us to develop our housing and planning policies to support the kinds of projects that would be most appropriate.

Self build and custom build 

Self build usually means that you're directly involved in organising the design and construction of your new home.

Custom build usually means working with a specialist developer. This is more of a hands-off approach, but your home will be tailored to match your individual requirements.

There may be some overlap between the two. For example, some custom-build developers offer the option of a serviced plot where you can design and build your own home as part of a larger scheme.

Who's eligible to be entered on the register?

Applicants must meet all the eligibility criteria for entry on the register. Each individual applicant and every member of an association of individuals that applies for entry on the register must be:

  • Aged 18 or older
  • A British citizen, a national of EEA state other thank the UK, or a national of Switzerland
  • Seeking, either alone or with others, to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence

Register your interest

To register your interest, complete the self and custom build registration form.

By signing up, you'll help us find out more about the demand for custom-build plots in Richmondshire, where people would like their plot to be and the type of house they would like to build.

We'll use the information to explore ways for people and plots to be brought together. Registration doesn't, however, guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified, or become available.

We won't pass identifiable information from the register onto anyone outside the council without written consent.


Landowners seeking to make small plots of land available for prospective self or custom-build projects should contact our community development team at with your name, contact details, location map and size of the plot. By providing this information, you're agreeing to us passing your details to someone looking to buy a self or custom-build plot in that location.

A to Z of Services