Plan a safe Christmas
The Safer Richmondshire community safety hub team is urging residents to plan ahead to make sure Christmas is accident free.
The team is promoting the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accident’s tips for a safe festive season:
- Buy children's gifts for the correct age group and from reputable retailers, and ensure they comply to safety standards
- Remember to buy batteries for toys that need them. That way you won't be tempted to remove batteries from other essential items, such smoke alarms
- Look out for small items that could pose a choking hazard to young children, such as button batteries
- Keep decorations and cards away from fires and other heat sources such as light fittings, and don't leave burning candles unattended
- Remember, Christmas novelties and decorations are not toys and they do not have to comply with toy safety regulations. Place them out of reach of young hands
- Give yourself enough time to prepare and cook Christmas dinner to avoid accidents that come from rushing, and wipe up any spills quickly
- Have scissors handy to open packaging, so you're not tempted to use a knife, and screwdrivers at the ready to assemble toys
- Beware of trailing cables and wires in the rush to connect new gadgets and appliances, and always read the instructions
- Keep clutter to a minimum and make sure stairs are well-lit and free from obstacles to prevent falls.
For more information check out the following websites: