Reminder of a Public Spaces Protection Order
During hot weather spells this summer, the Safer Richmondshire Community Safety Hub would like to remind visitors to Richmond Falls / The Batts areas of Richmond of a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) which restricts certain behaviours that have a negative impact on the area and local community.
Whilst we encourage visitors to enjoy this beautiful area, recent reports have been received concerning noisy groups, alcohol use and litter being left behind.
The PSPO prohibits this kind of behaviour. Breaches of the conditions below could result in a fixed penalty notice being issued:
- Behaving in a way, including congregating in a group, that causes or is likely to cause harassment, obstruction or concern for safety to another person in a public place;
- Threatening and/or abusing people in the restricted area;
- Continuing to consume alcohol when required to stop doing so by any authorised officer;
- Being under the influence of controlled drugs or other psychoactive substance;
- Throwing objects which are liable to cause damage, nuisance or injury to any person, animal or structure;
- Lighting or being in control of a fire or barbecue;
- No littering - not to throw down, drop or otherwise deposit and then leave litter in any place.
When visiting the Richmond Falls / The Batts, do not drink alcohol or light BBQ’s in these areas and be considerate to others visiting. Please take your rubbish with you when you are leaving or use one of the litter bins provided.
If entering the waters, please consider water safety and do not deposit broken bottles in the river.
Patrols will be in place over the summer months and persons persisting in prohibited activities will be prosecuted.
If any behaviour is a cause of concern, members of the public can also contact North Yorkshire Police on 101 or report via the North Yorkshire Police website.