Richmondshire District Council has a new leader.
Councillor Angie Dale has been elected to serve for the next four years – with Councillor Helen Grant as her deputy. They were elected by members of the Full Council at its meeting tonight (Tuesday May 21).
The Conservative party lost overall control of the council at the May 2 elections – the party won 10 of the 24 seats with independents taking 10 seats, liberal democrats three seats and green party one seat.
The liberal democrats and green party have joined forces, and together with nine of the independents they have formed a group - Richmondshire Together. This group now takes overall control of the council with Councillor Paul Cullen as group leader.
Appointments were also made to the following committees:
- Corporate Board: Councillors Angie Dale (chair); Helen Grant (vice chair)
- Planning Committee: Councillors John Blackie (chair); John Amsden (vice chair)
- Licensing Committee: Councillors Clive World (chair); Lorraine Hodgson (vice chair)
- Scrutiny Committee (internal): Councillors Paul Cullen (chair); John Amsden (vice chair)
- Scrutiny Committee (external): Councillors William Heslop (chair); John Blackie (vice chair)
- Audit, Governance and Standards Committee: Councillors Angus Thompson (chair); Lawrence Grose (vice chair).