Winners of garden competition
Green fingered Richmondshire residents have come top of the league in the district’s annual gardening competition.
All council tenants are encouraged to make their gardens look ‘blooming lovely’ for the competition which looks to find the best gardens, window boxes, tubs, baskets, borders and vegetable patches. They were given a month to get their plots in top condition before mystery judging began.
They are judged in the five areas of the district – Central, Garrison, Lower Wensleydale, North Richmondshire and Upper Dales – with prizes for each area.
“Once again the standard of gardens didn’t disappoint,” said Deputy Leader of the Council, Councillor Ian Threlfall.
“It is wonderful to see the district looking so beautiful through the summer months. We had lots of regular winners but there are some new gardens in the prizes this year which is good to see.”
The prizewinners are:
- Central: 1st - Mrs V Mackey, Richmond; 2nd Mr P Johnson, Richmond; 3rd Mr and Mrs Waldron, Catterick
- Garrison: 1st Mr and Mrs Clark, Catterick Garrison; 2nd Mr D Brown, Catterick Garrison; 3d Mr and Mrs Bates, Hipswell
- Lower Wensleydale: 1st Mr G and Mrs B Yare, East Witton: 2nd Mrs E Rawlin, East Witton; Joint 3rd Mr George, Hunton and Mr and Mrs A Worboys, Harmby
- North Richmondshire: 1st Mr and Mrs F M Spence, Eppleby, 2nd Mr PW and Mrs CA Adamson, Melsonby; 3rd Mrs Bondarenko, Melsonby
- Upper Dales: 1st Mr G Frankland, Reeth; 2nd Mr E and Mrs S Turner, Reeth