Richmondshire District Council

Collecting for charity

If you want to collect money in any Richmondshire street or public place for charitable or other purposes, you must hold a street collection permit issued by us.

Sponsored walks don't need a permit but “moving collections,” such as carnival processions and events which involve collecting from the public along a route, do.

Within one month of the collection taking place, you have to forward a statement detailing the list of collectors, the amount collected and the expenses and payments incurred. Where there's an issue or more information is needed, the permit holder will be contacted within five working days.

You're strongly advised to contact our licensing team before you submit an application for a proposed collection date to make sure it's available.


The legislation involved is the Police, Factories and c (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916

Regulations made by us under section five of the Act can be found here and our street collection policy can be found here.

Applying for a permit

The promoter, or a person who causes others to act as collectors, must complete an application form. 

No fees are charged for this permit.

Applications should be made no later than one month before the collection date and must be accompanied by written authority from the charity for which the collection is intended.

We aim to deal with the application within five working days of receiving it. But some applications may need further information to be provided which may extend this period.

A to Z of Services