Richmondshire District Council

Caravan sites

There are three main licensing areas:

  • Caravan sites: Holiday and touring
  • Caravan sites: Permanent residential (park homes)
  • Campsites: tents

Caravan sites (holiday and touring) and campsites (for tents)

The licensing of caravan sites is controlled by the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

The licensing of campsites is controlled by the Public Health Act 1936 (section 269).

Unless exempted, we issue and enforce licences for caravan and campsites. It's an offence to operate without a licence.

Planning permission and exemptions

Caravan sites need planning permission (planning approval or a certificate of lawfulness) before a licence can be granted.

For campsites, if the land is used for more than 28 days in any calendar year, planning permission must be obtained. A campsite which is used for more than 42 days consecutively, or 60 days in total in any consecutive 12 months, must also have a site licence.

There are certain exemptions to caravan site licencing requirements which are included in the 1960 Act. You can also contact us to discuss whether or not you need a licence.


There are standard conditions for each type of site which can be adapted to individual circumstances and which need to be complied with. If you have a multi-purpose site, more than one set of conditions will apply. Some sites may also have bespoke conditions attached depending on unique circumstances:

Application for a licence/changes to existing licences

The occupier of the land will need to apply for a site licence. Site licences are free. Fees only apply to park homes sites.

Once a valid application/transfer has been received, we aim to complete consideration of the application within 40 working days for caravan sites, or 20 working days for campsites.

Apply for a site licence:

Check that your name, the site name and site address are up to date. Also check that the licence corresponds with your planning permission. Contact us if you need to update your licence.

Licences are transferable to a new occupier but the law requires us to give consent. Contact us for advice about what you need to do.

Public register

All caravan sites and campsites licensed by us are listed on the public register.

Further information

Further details can be found within the caravan and other licensable sites enforcement policy

A to Z of Services