Richmondshire District Council

When do you require a performing animals licence?

If you keep or train animals for display or public performance, you must have a licence from us. 

This includes animals in a circus, film or television production, a theatre performance, or animals on display at events or parties. 


The legislation relating to this licence is The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) England Regulations 2018.

Applying for a licence 

Any fit and proper person who is not disqualified from keeping an animal can apply.

After we receive your completed animals exhibition application form and fee, we'll inspect the premises. 

From time to time, a vet or veterinary practitioner may accompany our officer on the inspection. The applicant will be responsible for paying any fees for the vet's visit before the licence is granted.


Take a look at the guidance notes for the conditions that will apply to all performing animal licences. 

Further information

Contact us at for further details.

A to Z of Services