Richmondshire District Council

Running an animal boarding business

To run an animal boarding establishment, either in kennels or in your own home, you need a licence from us.

Only premises boarding cats or dogs need to be licensed. We may set conditions on which the licence will be granted.


The legislation relating to this type of licence is The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) England Regulations 2018.

Applying for a licence

Any “fit and proper person” can apply for a licence, as long as they haven't been disqualified from keeping animals, a pet shop or animal boarding establishment.

After we receive your completed application form and the correct fee, the premises will be inspected. 

If we're satisfied that the licence may be granted, with or without conditions, you'll be notified within ten working days.


Conditions and standards expected are set out in guidance issued by DEFRA for the following licences;

Public register

There's no public register, but a list of current licensed animal boarding establishments is available on request.  

A to Z of Services