Richmondshire District Council

You need a temporary event notice (TEN) if your event is less than 168 hours, includes activities that require a licence and it's held at premises that aren't already authorised by a premises licence or a club premises certificate.

The application must be submitted no later than ten working days before the event, or five working days for a Late TEN.

Each TEN costs £21.


The powers to regulate temporary events are set out in the Licensing Act 2003.

The most common licensable activities are:

  • The sale or supply of alcohol
  • Live or recorded music and late-night refreshments
  • Other regulated entertainment such as wrestling: check with the licensing team for further details

The time it takes

We will send a copy of the notification to North Yorkshire Police and our environmental health service, who will consider whether the event would undermine licensing objectives and, if so, may serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user.

If an objection is made to a standard TEN, a public hearing must be held to decide the application. This will be held within seven working days after the last date for representations. The hearing date may be extended beyond seven working days if the licensing authority considers it's in the public interest to do so.

A hearing will be held to consider the objection notice, unless the objecting authority, the licensing authority and the applicant all agree that a hearing is unnecessary.

You'll be told within seven working days after the last date for representations if your notice is effective. A decision will be made at least 24 hours before the event.

If an objection is made to a late TEN, the event can't go ahead and no hearing will take place.

Tacit consent

This means that if you haven't heard from us by the end of seven working days after we receive the application, you can assume that your notice is accepted.

If tents or marquees are to be used as part of the event, check the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service website.

Apply online

You can complete and pay for your TEN application online.  

                                            apply here

A to Z of Services