Richmondshire District Council

When to apply for a premises licence

A premises or registered members' club must apply for a licence from us before providing any of the following:

  • Sale or supply of alcohol
  • Regulated entertainment
  • Late-night refreshment


The Licensing Act 2003 prohibits the sale or supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment or late-night refreshment without a licence. It also allows conditions to be attached to licences.

Current applications

View the applications that are currently being processed 

Applying for a premises licence 

Any of the following can apply:

  • Anyone who uses or carries on a business in the premises
  • A recognised club
  • A health service body
  • A person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
  • A chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
  • Anyone discharging a statutory function under Her Majesty's prerogative
  • A person from an educational institute
  • Any other permitted person over 18

Applications must be submitted to the licensing authority for the area where the premises are located.

Please read the guidance to applicants before applying.  

Complete the application form.

Various fees set by the Government apply based on the rateable value of the premises. You can find information on the rateable value of your premises and how it is calculated by the Valuation Office Agency.

Your application has to include an operating schedule, a plan of the premises and a form of consent from the premises supervisor. 

You must advertise your application. You can download an advertisement template. The guidance notes will help you complete it.

Premises licences application forms

Other application forms relating to premises licences are:

Right to appeal 

You can appeal against licensing committee decisions. Contact in the first instance. Appeals should be made to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the notice of decision. 

Public register

A copy of the licence can be viewed using the Public Access Portal.

Further information

Visit the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service business safety website.

A to Z of Services