When to apply for a premises licence
A premises or registered members' club must apply for a licence from us before providing any of the following:
- Sale or supply of alcohol
- Regulated entertainment
- Late-night refreshment
The Licensing Act 2003 prohibits the sale or supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment or late-night refreshment without a licence. It also allows conditions to be attached to licences.
View the applications that are currently being processed
Applying for a premises licence
Any of the following can apply:
- Anyone who uses or carries on a business in the premises
- A recognised club
- A health service body
- A person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
- A chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
- Anyone discharging a statutory function under Her Majesty's prerogative
- A person from an educational institute
- Any other permitted person over 18
Applications must be submitted to the licensing authority for the area where the premises are located.
Please read the guidance to applicants before applying.
Complete the application form.
Various fees set by the Government apply based on the rateable value of the premises. You can find information on the rateable value of your premises and how it is calculated by the Valuation Office Agency.
Your application has to include an operating schedule, a plan of the premises and a form of consent from the premises supervisor.
You must advertise your application. You can download an advertisement template. The guidance notes will help you complete it.
Premises licences application forms
Other application forms relating to premises licences are:
- Variation of premises licence
- Transfer of premises licence holder
- Premises licence holder consent to transfer
- Designated premises supervisor consent form
- Change of designated premises supervisor
- Request to be removed as designated premises supervisor
- Provisional statement
- Interim authority notice
- Notification of an interest in premises
- Community halls: removal of DPS
- Club premises declaration
- Variation of club certificate
- Club gaming or machine permit
- Minor variation of club or premises licence
- Application for review of licence
Right to appeal
You can appeal against licensing committee decisions. Contact email@example.com in the first instance. Appeals should be made to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the notice of decision.
A copy of the licence can be viewed using the Public Access Portal.
Visit the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service business safety website.
- Advertisement template.pdf
- Application for a club premises certificate.pdf
- Application for a minor variation to a premises licence or club premises certificate.pdf
- Application for a premises licence.pdf
- Application for a provisional statement.pdf
- Application for a review of a premises licence or club premises certificate.pdf
- Application for the mandatory alcohol condition in respect of a premises licence to be disapplied.pdf
- Application form for club gaming permit or club machine permit.pdf
- Application to transfer premises licence.pdf
- Application to vary a club premises certificate.pdf
- Application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as a designated premises supervisor.pdf
- Application to vary a premises licence.pdf
- Consent of individual to being specified as premises supervisor.pdf
- Consent of premises licence holder to transfer.pdf
- Declaration for a club premises certificate.pdf
- Interim authority notice.pdf
- Notification of an interest in premises.pdf