Coronavirus health support
The best way to protect yourself and your family from coronavirus (COVID-19) is by practising good respiratory and hand hygiene. The latest advice from Public Health England is to:
Wash your hands more often than usual, for 20 seconds each time with soap and water or hand sanitiser, especially when you:
- Get home or into work
- Blow your nose, sneeze or cough
- Eat or handle food
For the latest government advice visit the GOV.UK website.
- North Yorkshire Horizons launches Sparkle Through Winter campaign
NHS advice on how to stay well during winter
There are a number of effects the winter can have, and they are not just physical, the colder weather and shorter days can also affect your mental health.
Keeping your home warm
There are a number of organisations and schemes that can offer advice and help if you are struggling to keep your home warm:
- Warm and Well in North Yorkshire is a partnership project made up of organisations from the public, private and charity sector with the aim of reducing the number of cold homes, cold people and cold deaths within North Yorkshire
- Under the Warm Homes Discount Scheme you could get £140 off your electricity bill, or gas bill if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity, this winter. Contact your supplier to find out
- You may get a cold weather payment if you receive certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest
- For those born on or before 5 April 1954, you could receive a winter fuel payment of between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills
- The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government energy efficiency scheme to help tackle fuel poverty. Funding is available to provide residents with insulation, brand new A-rated boilers, and first time central heating for free in the majority of cases.
- Citizens Advice Mid-North Yorkshire offer advice on accessing emergency funding and debt
- The North Yorkshire Local Assistance Fund supports vulnerable adults to move into or remain in the community, and to help families under great pressure to stay together. You may apply for an award of utility credit