Richmondshire District Council

Your home is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) if both of the following apply:

  • at least three tenants live there, forming more than one household
  • you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

Landlord responsibility

By law, landlords have to provide additional fire safety provisions and maintain common parts, fixtures, fittings and appliances. Properties also have to be free from hazards under the housing health and safety scheme (HHSRS).

Licensable HMOs

Some types of HMO, because of their size, are classed as having increased safety risks and must be licensed by us.

Your property needs a licence if all the following apply:

  • it’s at least three storeys high
  • at least five tenants live there, forming more than one household
  • Tenants share facilities such as a toilet, bathroom or kitchen

These HMOs must also comply with our amenity standards. You should contact us if you're a landlord or tenant of a large HMO and you don't think it's licensed.

Apply for a licence

If you think your property needs to be licensed, complete the application form. These guidance notes will help you.

Register of licensed HMOs

We maintain a public register of all HMO licences.

You can read more on fire safety guidance for HMOs and HMO management regulations

A to Z of Services