Richmondshire District Council

When your relationship affects your housing needs

If you are having relationship difficulties you may need to consider your housing situation.

If the relationship is amicable it may be possible to stay in the house while one or both of you find alternative accommodation, but in certain cases legal advice is required.

Your housing rights will depend on:

  • whether your home is rented or owner-occupied
  • the legal status of your relationship (married couples and registered civil partners sometimes have more rights than couples who are living together as ‘cohabitees’)
  • whether you have children
  • whether there is domestic abuse in the household

Accommodation with children

You must be aware that when you are seeking housing assistance with children and if the local authority have a duty to accommodate, they will only provide accommodation for the children if it is to be used as their principle home - not if they will be housed primarily with another parent.

It could be advisable to seek specialist advice or speak to a family solicitor before making any decisions. There are a number of local firms that provide assistance with family law and mediation which can be found online. Citizens Advice may also be able to direct you to suitable services.

If you are looking to resolve your relationship issues, mediation is available from solicitors or mediation services - local ones can be found online. You may be eligible for legal aid in certain circumstances. For further information about legal aid visit the GOV.UK legal aid page.

For further advice contact Housing Options on 01748 901150 or

A to Z of Services