Planned discharge from mental health wards
There is a procedure in place for the secure and confidential sharing of information between agencies to help meet the needs of patients being discharged from mental health wards. It aims to prevent homelessness or discharge into unsuitable/unsafe accommodation by:
- sharing information with District Councils, Housing Associations, Health, Social Care and other relevant organisations
- promoting joint working to provide advice and support to patients at the earliest possible opportunity
- linking patients with a range of housing services and other services in order to prevent delayed discharges and prevent unnecessary readmissions
- reducing any anxiety for the patient on leaving the ward
A housing checklist for hospital discharge can be viewed here.
When and who do you need to contact
The checks on housing must be done at the earliest opportunity, and where possible 2-3 weeks in advance of hospital discharge, if the person is homeless or threatened with homelessness on hospital discharge. This is so that they can be assessed for housing need and reasonably accommodated with planning, to avoid unnecessary last minute contact with housing options services to avoid placement in unsuitable accommodation.
Contact the relevant local authority where the person resided immediately prior to admittance to hospital to avoid delay and confusion. If they resided under the district of Richmondshire you can contact our housing team on 01748 901150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Details regarding our out-of-hours emergency service can be found here.
- Community Support Officers (East Community Mental Health Team on 01609 751274/ West Community Mental Health Team on 01609 751275)
- For aids and equipment around the home contact the Customer Services Centre on 0845 034 9410 or email email@example.com
- Spaces Regional Resettlement Centre for ex services personnel on 01748 833797 or email firstname.lastname@example.org