Richmondshire District Council

As a tenant, you're responsible for:

  • Internal redecoration
  • Repairing damage caused by member of your household or visitors
  • Replacing broken glass
  • Clearing blocked waste pipes
  • Letterbox repairs or replacements
  • Replacing lost keys
  • Repairing or replacing hat and coat rails
  • Renewing sink, bath and basin plugs and chains
  • Repairs or the replacement of toilet seats and covers
  • Renewing electric light bulbs, tubes and starters for fluorescent light fittings, plugs and fuses
  • Making good minor cracks and holes in the plaster
  • Repairing or replacing washing lines
  • Renewing individual TV or radio aerials and satellite dishes, unless they're provided by the council on certain dwellings. Our permission is needed before these items are installed
  • Wooden sheds, unless provided by us

We'll take care of the structure and outside of the property, including:

  • Drains, gutters and external pipes
  • The roof
  • Outside walls, doors and windows
  • Internal walls, skirting boards, door frames, floors and ceilings
  • Chimneys and chimney stacks
  • Fences, gates, sheds and garages put up by us
  • Paths, steps and other means of access
  • Glass to windows and doors

We'll also look after:

  • Water and gas pipes and electric wiring
  • Electric sockets, light fittings and other fixed electrical fittings
  • Basins, sinks, baths, toilets, flushing systems and waste pipes
  • Water heaters, boilers, fireplaces, fitted fires, heaters and radiators

We also maintain shared entrances, halls, stairways, lifts, passageways, lighting, communal TV aerial systems, laundries and other shared areas.

A to Z of Services