Information about cockroaches
Cockroaches can contaminate food with their excrement, give out an unpleasant odour, and many people can get allergic skin reactions to them. For these reasons they need to be effectively controlled.
Cockroaches are large insects with whip-like antennae and two pairs of wings. The most common species found in the UK are the Oriental and German cockroaches. They can gather together in large numbers if left unchecked.
Cockroaches like the warm, humid conditions found in a typical home. Domestic conditions also give them a good source of food, as well as shelter. They are nocturnal, spending the day in such areas as sinks, drains, the back of cupboards and around fridge motors.
- Oriental cockroach: These are often found in cooler and less humid areas, such as drains and basements. They thrive in buildings with service ducts and complex plumbing. The female lays her eggs in a capsule containing up to 16 eggs and carries it to an area where the young can find food. The eggs hatch into small versions of the adults, or nymphs, after 6 to 12 weeks. The nymphs take between ten months and two years to grow to adulthood. Adults live for about 18 weeks.
- German cockroach: The egg capsules of German cockroaches contain up to 32 eggs. The female carries the egg case for some time and drops it when the eggs are close to hatching. The nymphs take about 14 weeks to grow into adults and can live for approximately 34 weeks.
Treatment can be carried out professionally by our pest control service.
The standard treatment costs can be found on our domestic fees page.
- Initial visit and assessment
- Advice on possible infestation cause and measures to deal with it
- An insecticidal gel, spray and/or fumigation (ULV) treatment will be applied to the affected rooms if cockroach activity is found or suspected
Customers must prepare the affected rooms for treatment. If the room isn't adequately prepared it could delay treatment and it will take longer to treat the problem.
If no treatment is carried out, you'll only pay a call-out and survey fee.