Richmondshire District Council

Registering your food business

By law, any premises used for a food business, including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures, should be registered.

This allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in the district so that we can visit them when we need to. Anyone wanting to set up a new food business should register at least 28 days before starting to trade.

If you run a food business, you must tell us about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.

Food premises include:

  • Restaurants
  • Hotels
  • Cafes
  • Shops
  • Supermarkets
  • Staff canteens
  • Kitchens in offices
  • Warehouses
  • Guest houses
  • Delivery vehicles
  • Buffet cars on trains
  • Markets and other stalls
  • Hot dog and ice cream vans

You should also notify environmental health if your business changes or you cease trading.

If the application form has been correctly completed, we aim to enter the details onto the register within ten working days of receiving the application.

No fees are charged.


You can register food premises or notify a change to any existing food premises using the online registration form

Public register

Details from the notification forms will be recorded on the public register which you can view by contacting us.

Your business and tourism

We are working to increase visitor numbers to the district and would like to encourage all tourism businesses to work with us. There are a couple of things you can do:

A to Z of Services