Flood damage council tax discount
Domestic properties that have been flooded through a weather related incident may be entitled to a council tax discount for a maximum period of 12 months or less if the works required to make the property habitable have been completed.
If you are no longer able to live in your property and have moved to a temporary address the entitlement would be a 100% discount.
If you are only able to live in the upstairs of your property, or are required to live at the property (for insurance purposes), the entitlement would be a 50% discount.
If you are unable to use your furnished second home the entitlement would be a 100% discount.
How to apply
- Email to Local.Taxation@richmondshire.gov.uk giving as much detail as possible. Please include the full address of the property, the date the incident occurred, your temporary address if appropriate and the most convenient way to contact you. If you do not have access to email please write to the Revenue, Benefits & Customer Services Manager at Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire. DL10 4JX. Please include, where possible, photographic evidence of the damage caused to the property.
- Your application will be considered on an individual basis by the Revenue, Benefits & Customer Services Manager who may ask you to provide additional information to support your claim.
- You will receive a decision as soon as possible (no later than 1 calendar month from the date of application).
- Any entitlement to discount will be credited direct to your council tax account for a maximum period of 12 months.
- It is the responsibility of the council taxpayer to inform us as soon as they either move back into the property, or the works required to make the property habitable have been completed.
For further information please contact the local taxation team at the council on: 01748 901069.