Business rate relief due to flooding
Where businesses have been affected by flooding as a result of a weather related incident and are unable to trade, they may be entitled to relief from their business rate bill.
If you are no longer able to trade and your premises has closed, the entitlement would be a 100% relief.
If you have remained open but are unable to trade from the whole premises, the entitlement would range between a 10% to 50% relief: the award would be dependent on the level of disruption in each individual case.
This relief is for a maximum period of 12 months or less if trading recommences before the end of the 12 months.
How to apply
- All applications for relief should where possible be evidenced with photographs. Applications for the relief should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4JX
- The award of the relief is at the discretion of the Revenues, Benefits and Customer Services Manager
- You will receive a decision, and where appropriate a revised bill showing the relief within one calendar month
- It is the responsibility of the business ratepayer to inform us as soon as trading recommences
- Any properties still affected after 12 months will need to re-apply. The possibility of any additional award to be looked at on a case by case basis
For further information please contact the local taxation team on 01748 901069.