Richmondshire District Council

What to do after a flood

  • Take care as there may be hidden dangers in the flood water like sharp objects, raised manhole covers and pollution.
  • Get professional advice on any damaged structures.
  • Throw away any food which has come into contact with flood water, including canned goods.
  • Contact your buildings and contents insurance company as soon as possible.
  • In almost all cases the insurance company will send a loss adjuster to look at your property. They will confirm what repairs and replacements are needed and covered by your policy.
  • If you rent your property, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company as soon as possible.
  • If you do not have insurance, we will be able to provide information on hardship grants or charities that may be able to help you.
  • Be aware of rogue traders. 

For further details please read our flooding leaflet

The Environment Agency and Public Health England

Both organisations have some useful information about what to do after a flood, including advice on how to clean up your home safely. Take a look at the Environment Agency's after a flood advice.

The Environment agency, which already offers a flood alert service via text, email and automated phone call, have now enabled UK residents to receive flood alerts via the Google search engine and public alerts map. 


The Association of British Insurers provide advice about flooding resilience and on working through the insurance system. 

For those who are struggling to obtain home insurance, Flood Re helps make flood cover more widely available and affordable to individuals.

Council tax

Domestic properties that have been flooded through a weather related incident may be entitled to a council tax discount of 100 percent for up to a maximum of 12 months.

If your property has been affected by flooding following a severe weather incident and you are unable to live in it, please contact Richmondshire District Council.

For further details visit our flood damage council tax page

Housing support

If your property has been flooded, and you are able to, please arrange to stay with family and friends and/or contact your insurance company if you are in need of temporary accommodation.

If you are in private rented accommodation, we suggest you make contact with your landlord as their insurers may be able to provide temporary accommodation.

If none of these options are available to you, please contact our Housing Team on 01748 901150, or visit our housing page for further information.

Public health and environment advice for home owners

Further information for home owners who have experienced flooding can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Private water supply customers

Please test your water supply before drinking it if you have been affected by flooding. Further details can be found on the drinking water inspectorate website

A to Z of Services