Richmondshire District Council

Why have I been sent a summons?

It has been issued because, according to the Council’s records, you have not paid your Business Rates (Non-Domestic Rates) as required.

Can I still pay and stop any further action being taken against me?

Yes. If the Council receives the total due, as shown on the summons, by the close of business on the day before the court hearing, no further action will be taken. Please note the total due already includes the costs for the issue of a summons.

What will happen if I don’t pay before the court hearing?

If the Court is satisfied that the amount shown is payable by you, it will issue a liability order. At this stage additional costs will be added to your account. Please refer to our What happens if you don't pay your business rates page for current details. Please note: the Magistrates will not discuss settlement of your account, unless you wish to defend against the Council’s application it will not be necessary for you to attend court.

Can I make an arrangement to pay over a longer period?

Yes. If you are unable to pay the total due before the court hearing the Council may consider an arrangement to pay over a mutually acceptable period. Despite this the Council will still apply for a liability order - but will defer its execution. The amount payable will therefore include both summons and liability order costs.

There is no need to attend Court to make an arrangement. Contact a member of the Local Taxation Team on 01748 901069 to discuss your account.

Providing you continue to pay your arrangement as agreed no further action will be taken. If, however, you fail to pay as agreed the Council will enforce the liability order.

Once a liability order has been granted the Council has the power to recover the outstanding amount from you without further recourse to the court (except for committal/bankruptcy proceedings).

The Council may also instruct enforcement agents to recover the debt, which could include the removal and selling of your goods. Any additional costs incurred through this action will be borne by you.

I don’t believe the charge is correct. What should I do?

If you believe you should not be liable for Business Rates, or that the amount due is incorrect contact the Local Taxation Office immediately at:

Mercury House
Station Road
DL10 4JX

Telephone: 01748 901069

What if I have appealed against my Business Rates?

You must still pay the amount outstanding even if you have made an appeal to the Valuation Officer. If it is successful, any overpayment will be either refunded or offset against your remaining charges. Payment will not prejudice your appeal in any way.

Will I be entitled to interest on my overpayment?

If your appeal is successful and overpayment results from an alteration in the rating list, you will be entitled to an additional amount by way of interest. There will, however, be no right to interest where payment was made after a Magistrates’ Court issued a liability order in respect of rates due, for which overpayment relates.

Where and how can I make payment?

You can make a payment in one of the following ways:

  • by calling 0845 078 1191 and using a debit or credit card
  • online using our website and using a debit or credit card
  • in person at one of the Council’s community offices. Locations and opening times can be found on our contact us page.

Cheques should be made payable to Richmondshire District Council. Post-dated cheques will not be accepted.

The Court will not accept payment.

If you have any queries about the issuing of this summons or the court hearing either consult the Citizens Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Are you entitled to help

If you are having problems paying your business rates you could be eligible for some relief. More information is available on our Council tax and business rates section.

Free and independent debt advice

Debt advisers will:

  • never judge you or make you feel bad about your situation
  • always be happy to talk to you - however big or small the problem
  • find ways to manage your debts even if you think you have no spare money.

Telephone help is usually available weekdays, evenings and weekends at:

Debt advice service Description Telephone
Debt Advice Foundation National debt advice and education charity offering
confidential support to anyone worried about debt
0800 622 6151
PayPlan Provides debt advice and support 0800 280 2816
National Debtline Talk through options and give clear advice on taking control 0808 808 4000
Step Change Debt charity Impartial and personalised help 0800 138 1111
A to Z of Services