Richmondshire District Council

If you are receiving a discount or relief you believe you are not entitled to, you must tell us within 21 days, or you could face a £70 penalty.

Single person discount

A council tax bill is calculated as if two or more adults live in the property. But if only one adult over 18 lives there, a 25% single person discount applies.

You can apply for this discount directly by using our Revenues online service and going to the 'Apply for or cancel a single person discount' section.

Discount disregards

Certain people aren't counted when it comes to council tax calculations.

These include:

  • Someone on remand or in prison
  • Severely mentally impaired people
  • Someone for whom child benefit is payable
  • School and college leavers
  • Student nurses
  • Apprentices
  • Students
  • Foreign spouses of students
  • Youth training trainees
  • Patients living in hospital
  • Certain types of carer
  • Patients living in care homes, nursing homes, mental nursing homes and hostels providing a high level of care
  • Members of religious communities
  • Diplomats, members of visiting forces, international HQs and defence organisations
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters

Discount for care leavers

If you are a care leaver aged under 25 who is paying council tax or living with someone who pays council tax, we may be able to reduce the amount of council tax you pay.

To qualify for a reduction you must be:

  • a care leaver under 25 years old
  • live within Richmondshire
  • be resident in the property to which the council tax bill relates.

The reduction can only be paid up to the care leaver's 25th birthday.

What will you pay?

  • If you are the only person paying the council tax bill, 100% relief will be applied
  • If the property is occupied only by care leavers, 100% relief will be applied
  • If you live with someone else, 50% relief will be applied, after all other discounts and exemptions (except Council Tax Reduction) has been applied to the account.

More detailed information can be found in our council tax policy on care leavers.

To make an application please complete our online form.

Unoccupied and substantially unfurnished properties 

Properties that are unoccupied and substantially unfurnished will be subject to a full charge for the first 2 years and a premium thereafter. The current premiums are an additional 100% for properties that have been empty for longer than two years but less than five years, and an additional 200% for properties that have been empty for over five years.

Discounts are no longer available for properties that need, or are undergoing, major repair or structural alterations.

Unoccupied caravans and boats qualify for a 50% discount for up to six months.

Discount for flooded homes

We have our own discount scheme to help those whose property has suffered flooding caused by a severe, unexpected weather related event such as storms.

Any discount awarded is for a fixed period of up to 12 months.

Contact for more information on this discretionary discount.

Discount for fire damaged homes

We have our own discount scheme to help those whose property has suffered severe fire damage which prevents you from living in the property.

Any discount awarded is for a fixed period of up to 12 months.

Contact for more information on this discretionary discount.

Second homes: job-related absence

A second home is entitled to a 50% discount if the council taxpayer is unable to live there because of a condition in their employment contract which says they must live somewhere else. Examples include a publican, residential school caretaker or Forces personnel posted on a tour of duty.

To qualify, both properties must be furnished, be in England, Wales or Scotland. The applicant must also be responsible for the council tax payment on each home (unless the property is provided by the ministry of defence or for a minister of religion to perform his duties).

Family annexes

A 50% council tax reduction, on top of any other discount, applies if:

  • The annexe forms part of a single property, which includes at least one other dwelling, and is being used by a resident of that other dwelling, or is the sole or main residence of a relative of the person who's liable to pay council tax for that other dwelling.
A to Z of Services