Unoccupied property rating
You don't have to pay business rates on empty properties for three months.
Some properties can get extended empty property relief:
- Industrial premises (for example, warehouses) for a further three months
- Listed buildings - until they’re reoccupied
- Buildings with a rateable value under £2,900 - until they’re reoccupied
- Properties owned by charities - only if the property’s next use will be for charitable purposes
- Community amateur sports club buildings - only if the next use will be for sporting use
- Unoccupied new builds for up to 18 months - where the property came into the list between 1 October 2013 and 30 September 2016
Partly-occupied property relief
You're liable for the full non-domestic rate whether a property is wholly occupied or only partly occupied. Where a property is partly occupied for a short time, we have discretion to award relief for the unoccupied part.