Richmondshire District Council

Charity and community amateur sports club relief

These are entitled to 80% relief where the property is occupied by the charity or the club, and is wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes. We have the discretion to give further relief on the remaining bill.

Childcare facilities

The council has approved a policy to award discretionary rate relief to businesses that provide childcare services.

A reduction of 50% will be applied subject to the business:- 

  • catering for ten or more children under the age of eight 
  • offering care from 8am until 5pm - Monday to Friday
  • be an Ofsted or other approved childcare provider
  • accept childcare vouchers, and deliver the government’s requirement of 30 hours free childcare per child per week.

Flood relief

There is a special relief scheme available for those affected by the severe weather incident of 30 July 2019.

Hardship relief

We have discretion to give relief in special circumstances.

Giving rate relief to a business/organisation must be balanced against whether this creates unfair market conditions to the detriment of others.

It should also be recognised that one of the main overheads of any business is non-domestic rates and therefore it's reasonable to expect that businesses have made provision to pay this.

More information is available at GOV.UK

Local newspaper premises relief

Councils can provide a discount worth up to £1,500 a year for three years from 1 April 2017, to office space occupied by local newspaper businesses.

A maximum of one discount can be claimed per newspaper title and per property and up to state aid limits.

Mobile phone mast providers

Broadband providers are to get relief on their business rate.

Under a new scheme the council is adding the operators of mobile telecommunication masts to the list of businesses that can apply for rate relief.

The council has the power to offer discretionary relief to businesses that it feels would benefit from it – and that in turn would benefit the local community.

The council has agreed to grant a seven year holiday in business rates for all new (non 5G) rural mobile infrastructure, to a maximum of £6,000 per mast per year subject to:

  • the new infrastructure serving a rural area where there is currently no mobile phone service 
  • the infrastructure is occupied for a minimum of seven years.

Retail discount (high street relief)

The business rate Retail Discount Scheme is aimed at helping small town retailers and high street businesses and has been improved for 2020-21

For 2019-20 those that benefited from the relief occupied properties with a rateable value of less than £51,000, were wholly or mainly being used as shops, restaurants, cafes and drinking establishments. Qualifying businesses had a third cut off their bill which was automatically applied to their account.

For 2020-21 small cinemas and music venues have been added to the list of qualifying businesses and will have a half cut off their bill.

If you receive a bill without the discount and you believe you have an entitlement, please contact the council to discuss the matter.

In response to the coronavirus pandemic the government launched an Expanded Retail Discount Scheme.

This increased the discount to 100% and extended it to include the leisure and hospitality sectors.

The relief is applied to occupied retail, leisure and hospitality properties in the year 2020/21. There will be no rateable value limit on the relief.

Any award is dependent on the ratepayer not receiving more than 200,000 euros in state aid over a rolling three year period. Click on the link to find out more about state aid law 

Rural businesses rate relief

Certain types of properties in a rural settlement with a population below 3,000 may be entitled to relief.

The property must be the only general store, only post office or a food shop and have a rateable value of less than £8,500, or the only public house, or the only petrol station and have a rateable value of less than £12,500.

The property has to be occupied. You're entitled to relief at 50% of the full charge, and we do have discretion to give further relief on the remaining bill.

Councils are expected to use their local discount powers to grant 100% rural rate relief to eligible ratepayers from 1 April 2017.

Transitional relief

Transitional relief limits the percentage your business rate bill can be increased or decreased each year following revaluation. The transitional relief will apply each year until the full amount is due and your bill reaches what your full bill should be.

The award is applied automatically and shown on the front of your bill.

More information is available on the GOV.UK website.

Support for pubs

Pubs that have a rateable value of below £100,000 are eligible to receive a £1,000 discount on their bill.

This relief is available for 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2020-21 (It was not available during 2019-20).

A to Z of Services