Richmondshire District Council

Holiday lets

Owners of self-catering accommodation, such as holiday homes, that are used commercially for 140 days or more, will have to pay business rates rather than council tax.

'Commercially' means with a view to making a profit. This requires a property to be let at market rates and is actively advertised, such as on tourism and hospitality websites.

To have your property rated as self-catering holiday accommodation and valued for business rates, please complete the following form:

Apply for self-catering unit status  

For further information on business rates, visit our business rates page.

A to Z of Services