Richmondshire District Council

The back of your business rate bill contains important information that you need to read including the following information outlined below.

Explanatory notes

For more details regarding your business rate bill, please read our explanatory notes leaflet.

How to pay your bill 

Please note that payments are due on or before the date indicated overleaf on your bill. Any late payments may result in recovery action and additional charges being incurred.

Direct Debit: You have the choice to pay on either the 1st or the 15th day of each month. Download a Direct Debit form, or ring (01748) 829100 to arrange your Direct Debit over the phone.

Online: Payment can be made by debit or credit card by visiting our business rates payment page, or by instructing your bank to make payments to sort code 30-91-73, account number 23291968, quoting your business rate account number as the reference number. Please email your supporting documentation to

By phone: Payment can be made using a debit or credit card at any of the council offices, or by telephone on 0845 078 1191 - open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. Calls to this number will cost you 3 pence per minute plus your phone company’s access charge.

By post: Send to Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4JX

At any of the council's offices: Opening times can be found via our contact us page.

Changes to your circumstances

It is important that you tell us about any changes in your circumstances, even if you have nothing to pay, that affect your business rate (NDR) liability. The following are examples of changes of circumstances that would affect your liability:

  • If you move to a new permanent business address.
  • If you believe that you are entitled to rate relief.
  • If you believe that you are no longer entitled to a rate relief.
  • If you alter or change the use of your property.
  • If your property changes from empty to occupied.
  • If your property changes from occupied to empty.
  • If you are getting an allowance for partial occupation and the part of the property that is occupied either decreases or increases in size.
  • If you get small business rate relief and you take up occupation of a property you did not occupy at the time of making your application for relief.
  • If you get small business rate relief and there is an increase in the rateable value of a property you occupy in an area other than the area of the local authority which granted the relief.
  • If your property is exempt from business rates and the reason for the exemption no longer exists.

If you have a change in your circumstances that may affect your business rate, you must tell us straight away, in writing, giving full details about the changes.

Not every change you need to tell us about is shown above. If you are in any doubt about any change of circumstances, tell us anyway.

Rating advisors

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rate bill.

Ratepayers who do wish to be represented, however, should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct.

Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract. 

A to Z of Services