Post number: REVS TAX 14-17, 20
Post title: Local Taxation and Recovery Officer
Salary grade: Grade 6
Responsible to: Local Taxation and Recovery Team Leader
The post holder will assist in the delivery of the Revenues and Benefits Service for Richmondshire District Council and for collaborative work with external partners and local authorities. The service is regulatory by nature and is highly customer focussed, with an emphasis on excellent performance.
Supervision and guidance
Local Taxation and Recovery Team Leader.
Range of decision making
The post holder will undertake a broad range of duties relating to the billing and collection of Council Tax and Business Rates.
Responsibility for assets, materials, etc
Main duties and responsibilities
1. To set up and issue new Council Tax and Business Rate accounts.
2. To maintain existing accounts and amend through the administration of eligible discounts, reliefs and exemptions.
3. To deal with all customer enquiries via face-to-face, telephone, letter and e-mail, etc.
4. To make instalment arrangements with customers who are in arrears.
5. To take payments over the phone using online system.
6. Process refunds on system ready for authorisation.
7. Set up Direct Debits over the phone in accordance with set procedures.
8. To liaise with the Valuation Officer.
9. To liaise with the Local Taxation Visiting Officer and Enforcement Agents.
10. To liaise with the Service Development Team regarding issues affecting Council Tax and Business Rates accounts.
11. To enter authorised write-offs onto the software system so that they can be dealt with by the System Administrator.
12. To assist the Local Taxation and Recovery Team Leader with bankruptcies, liquidation/admin orders, etc.
13. Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of recovery law, including insolvency.
14. To liaise with the Benefits Section in the calculation and award of Council Tax Reduction.
15. To assist the Recovery Team Leader with the administration necessary for the recovery of Council Tax and Business Rates.
16. To assist in the control of bailiff payments and ensuring that monitoring reports are up to date.
17. Trace absconders using third party systems or other information held.
18. To assist the Recovery Team Leader in arranging the execution of Committal Warrants.
19. Responsibility for the recovery of Council Tax to include:
- Liaison with the Senior Assessment Officer to contact the Department for Work and Pensions Debt Management Team, to request deductions from state benefits in respect of council tax debt.
- Undertake an assessment of a customer’s income and expenditure where appropriate to determine the weekly amount recoverable.
- Update computer records to show correct recovery action.
- Monitor recovery action to ensure payments are made referring non-payment of invoices to the Local Taxation and Recovery Team Leader for further recovery action.
- Recommend cases for write-off to the Local Taxation and Recovery Team Leader or Principal Benefit Officer.
- Maintenance of records for statistical purposes.
20. Liaison with internal and external customers, including Housing Associations, Department for Works and Pensions, Local Authorities and other departments.
21. Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction legislation and applying these to the working system.
22. Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of the computerised benefit system and the document management system, including CIS.
23. Liaison with and preparation of referrals where irregularities are suspected for further investigation by Veritau Ltd.
24. Such other duties as may from time to time be allocated to the post holder, consistent with the responsibilities of the post, and the smooth running of the Revenues Section.