We're a small rural council serving a beautiful area of North Yorkshire.
We cover the market towns of Richmond, Hawes and Leyburn, alongside the Catterick Garrison military community, and the remote villages, hamlets and farming communities of the Yorkshire Dales.
We aim to provide the best possible service to our residents, businesses and visitors, and our staff enjoy the satisfaction and challenges this brings.
While operational staff work out of a depot in Richmond, our office-based staff enjoy outstanding accommodation at Mercury House, our home in grounds overlooking the banks of the River Swale, close to the Market Place.
Although we're the largest civilian employer in the district, we're very much one big family where the term work/life balance is not just talked about but is alive and well. We invite you to come and join us.
We offer a range of flexible, supportive employment initiatives and working arrangements.
- Final salary local government pension scheme
- Flexible working hours, where operationally practical
- Job-share and reduced hours working, where operationally practical
- Annual leave scheme which includes three extra days at Christmas and bank holidays
- Special leave provisions for employees with caring responsibilities
- Counselling service
- Occupational health service
- Individual performance planning and reviewing
- Learning and development programme
- Payroll giving scheme
- Health scheme
- Excellence in performance awards
- New, refurbished, fit-for-purpose offices based in the centre of a thriving market town
- A friendly, inclusive culture with a calendar of social events