We're always looking for new people to help us by working at polling stations or at the count.
You must be at least 18 to work in a polling station or help with the annual canvass, but only 16 to work as a counting assistant. You must also be entitled to work in the UK.
If successful, before taking up your appointment, you must provide evidence of your eligibility to work in the UK by showing us either:
- Your valid passport
- Your birth certificate and proof of National Insurance Number, such as P60, P45, payslip, etc
Polling and count staff must not work on behalf of a candidate during an election campaign, or be related to a prospective candidate.
Polling and count staff must consent to work more than the normal working hours provided for by the Working Time Directive.
Presiding Officers and Poll Clerks
The polling hours are 7am-10pm. Staff need to arrive at the polling station at 6.30 am to set up, and be there until the polls close.
The main duties of polling staff are to:
- Act impartially at all times
- Provide help to voters where appropriate
- Help with the layout of the polling station and prepare for the opening of the poll
- Issue ballot papers to voters
- Check if voters are eligible to vote
- Check and mark each voter's number in the Register of Electors
Verification and count assistants
Verification and count assistants are employed to verify and count the votes cast at polling stations, together with the postal votes received in the run-up to polling day. Hours vary depending on the type of election.
- Presiding officer gross fee is £214
- Poll clerk gross fee is £130
- A gross fee of £10 per hour is also payable for attending the training session.
- Verification and count assistant gross fee is £10 per hour (daytime), £15 per hour (evening).
- Mileage is not paid for attending the training session or for verification or count duties.
All fees are subject to standard rate income tax deduction unless we've been notified of a tax code. Payments will be paid by BACs straight into your bank account. New applicants will need to complete the elections starter form and return it to us.