National restrictions from 5 January 2021
To reduce social contact the Government has ordered the following businesses and venues to close:
- all non-essential retail, including clothing and homeware stores, vehicle showrooms, electronic goods and mobile phone shops, betting shops, auction houses (except for livestock or agricultural equipment), tailors, tobacco and vape shops, market stalls selling non-essential goods. These venues can continue to operate click and collect and delivery services.
- leisure and sport facilities, including leisure centres and gyms, swimming pools, sports courts, fitness and dance studios, stables and riding centres, golf courses
- entertainment venues such as theatres, concert halls, cinemas, museums and galleries, arcades, bingo halls, bowling alleys, indoor play and soft play centres, animal attractions, botanical gardens
- personal care facilities such as hair, beauty and nail salons, tattoo parlours, spas, massage parlours, body and skin piercing services, and tanning salons. These services should not be provided in other people's homes
- hospitality venues, including restaurants, cafes, social clubs, bars and pubs. However, these venues can provide takeaway and delivery services (until 11pm), but the takeaway of alcohol will not be allowed. For information about adapting your food business during COVID-19 visit our takeaway and delivery services page
- accommodation such as hotels, hostels, guest houses and campsites, unless these act as someone’s main residence, where the person cannot return home, for providing accommodation or support to the homeless, or where it is essential to stay there for work purposes
- community centres and halls, unless they are open for education/training purposes, hosting food banks and blood donation sessions, to provide medical treatment
Food shops, supermarkets, garden centres and other retailers providing essential goods and services can remain open. For full details of which businesses can remain open visit the GOV.UK website.
Animal rescue centres, boarding facilities and animal groomers may continue to be used but must only be for the purposes of the animal’s welfare (and not for aesthetic purposes).
Financial support available
Businesses affected by the current national lockdown, will be able to apply for financial support shortly. As soon as we are able to accept applications for Lockdown grants, we will publicise this on our website. In the meantime, please do not use the Local Restriction Support Grants application forms to apply for January 2021 Lockdown grants.