Richmondshire District Council

Celebrating the Queen's Jubilee

To celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee, the nation will enjoy a four day bank holiday. The traditional May bank holiday weekend has been moved to Thursday 2 June, with an additional bank holiday on Friday 3 June to create a four day weekend.

If you're planning an event to celebrate the occasion, here's some information to help you.  

Tell us about your event

If you want to organise a street party or a festival/event for your local community to celebrate the Jubilee, we recommend that you complete an events notification form and send it to the Richmondshire Safety Advisory Group (SAG). Submitting the events form is not compulsory but it will enable us to provide you with public safety advice and we can tell you whether you will need to make any licence applications.

SAG consists of officers from Richmondshire District Council, North Yorkshire Police, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service and the North Yorkshire Ambulance Service. 

An events notification form must be submitted eight weeks before your event is planned to take place. For further details and to complete an events notification form visit our planning a safe event page.

Please note that if you wish to hold your event on land owned or managed by Richmondshire District Council you will need to gain permission first by completing our use of council facilities and land application form

Road closure 

If a road closure is necessary for your event to take place safely, you will need to apply for a temporary road closure by contacting North Yorkshire County Council. You can apply for this free of charge. You must apply for a street party road closure by 29 April 2022.

For larger events or for a street party on a through road, the event organiser will need to apply for a temporary traffic regulation order. You must apply to North Yorkshire County Council for this order at least three months before the event start date.

Licence requirements


If you are going to sell alcohol at your event and it's being held at premises that are not authorised to sell alcohol, you will need to apply for a temporary event notice (TEN) at least ten working days before the event. This licence costs £21 and covers events of less than 500 people.

If the number of people attending your event is for 500 or more and you are intending to sell alcohol, you will need to apply for a full premises licence. You will need to allow a couple of months to allow for your application to be processed.


You do not need an entertainment licence for unamplified recorded/live music or dancing if less than 500 people are attending and it is going to take place between 8am and 11pm. 

If however, amplified music is one of the main purposes of the event and you will be making money from the event, you will need a licence. Please apply for a TEN.

Further details about licence requirements can be found in our guidance for event organisers.

Health and safety

As an event organiser we would encourage you to complete a risk assessment. This lays out how you will minimise risks and have a record of how you plan to control them. 

The Health and Safety Executive website has some useful information about managing an event and planning for emergencies. 

We recommend that Covid-19 is still considered in your risk assessment. Read the Covid-19 event guidance for assistance.


To support communities in hosting small scale festivals and events, you can apply for a grant of up to £2,000 via our Platinum Jubilee Festivals and Events Fund 2022.

For those hosting a large scale event or festival, grants are available via the Richmondshire Large Festivals and Events Fund 2022.

For further details visit our community grants schemes page.

Official platinum jubilee emblem

The official Platinum Jubilee emblem is available to use for free for all activities associated with Platinum Jubilee celebrations, including community events. You can download it from the Royal website.

Further information

A to Z of Services