The council supports military personnel and their families/dependants in the district, and veterans who have chosen to live here.
How the council has been achieving this over recent years is detailed in its response to the covenant.
The North Yorkshire Armed Forces Covenant Local Authorities Working Group
Richmondshire District Council is working with a number of other local authorities in North Yorkshire to support the Armed Forces community.
- Supporting our Armed Forces and Armed Forces Community in North Yorkshire annual report 2018
- Forces Connect app for North Yorkshire. The North Yorkshire Armed Forces Covenant Local Authorities Working Group have connected the North Yorkshire armed forces communities to this app, which is aimed at serving personnel, reservists, veterans, dependants – including spouses, partners, children and parents – and those that work with the armed forces community. Users are directed to a range of sources of support and advice relating to employment, education, training, housing and homelessness, benefits, family support care and benefits, health and well being, and crisis support.
- Veterans' Gateway - The first point of contact for veterans seeking advice and support
- SSAFA the Armed Forces charity
- Veterans' UK - Help and support for veterans
- Combat Stress - The UK's leading charity for veterans' mental health
- Royal British Legion - The Royal British Legion provides lifelong support for the armed forces community, serving men and women, veterans, and their families
- Help for Heroes
- ABF The Soldiers' Charity - The army's national charity
- New military mental health helpline - The Ministry of Defence has launched the 24/7 military mental health helpline. The number - 0800 323 4444 - is open to serving personnel and their families, allowing them to access the help, advice and support they need anywhere, anytime.
- For those ex-service personnel who are interested in starting a career in a trade visit the RS website.
- UCAS has an information page specifically for members of the Armed Forces community who are looking to apply to university – aimed at service children, veterans and service leavers. The Naval Families Federation have also published advice about how to incorporate information about your service life when completing a UCAS application.