Richmondshire District Council

Anti-social behaviour is a broad term used to describe the day-to-day crime, nuisance or disorder that can make a person’s life a misery.

It can include problems with litter and vandalism, public drunkenness, and noisy or abusive neighbours.

The Safer Richmondshire team co-ordinates agencies who work together to tackle these issues, meaning that responsibility is shared between a number of organisations, such as the police, council and social landlords.

Report anti-social behaviour

  • Community anti-social behaviour issues: contact North Yorkshire Police on 101
  • Neighbour issues such as noisy dogs or loud music: contact us by completing our 'report anti-social behaviour' online form

Report anti-social behaviour

If you've been a victim of anti-social behaviour, you may come across Community Remedy which involves having your say in how an offender should make amends for their actions.

And if you've reported three anti-social behaviour incidents to us, your housing provider or police in six months, you can ask organisations to collectively review your case.

This is done through what's called the “community trigger.”

Community trigger case review

This is a way for you to have your case reviewed and lets organisations look again at what's been done to resolve the issues for you.

A panel will consider whether the action undertaken should be adequate to address the problems, based on reasonable expectation and timescales.

The review can't be used to make complaints against individuals who have worked on your case. To do that, you must use the complaints process of the individual’s organisation.

The purpose of the review is to resolve the anti-social behaviour issues.

Who can ask for a review

  • Any victim who's reported three incidents of anti-social behaviour, which has caused harassment, alarm or distress, in a six-month period
  • Each report must have been formally recorded by the police, council or housing provider and made within one month of the incident occurring
  • The three reports don't need to have been made to the same organisation
  • If consent has been given, a third party can request a case review to be held on behalf of a victim or victims
  • Third parties could be a carer, family member, community group, residents' association, MP, local councillor or support worker and could act for more than one victim

How to ask for a review

If your case meets the criteria, it will be considered at a case review meeting within six weeks of your application being received. Your local representative will keep you updated throughout the process.

Within a week of the meeting, you'll be notified of the outcome, including any proposed action plan.

If you're unhappy with the outcome of the review, you can appeal against the decision. 

A to Z of Services