More and more companies are using interns to bring fresh ideas and skills into a business on a short or long-term basis.
Internships offer students the opportunity to engage with employers, deliver projects and gain employability experience.
The increasing importance of internships in the graduate jobs market is clear, with around 100,000 graduate internships being undertaken every year. Half of employers offer internships, and almost half (46 percent) of recent graduates have completed one. Internships offer an opportunity to learn on the job, get an insight into the workplace, gain practical skills and make connections which will help further a young person’s career.
Here are some top reasons why you might want to consider employing an intern:
- They bring with them a fresh perspective and new ways of tackling old problems.
- Enhancing your social media strategy.
- You may be able to retain good interns to fill entry level positions.
- Interns provide an extra set of hands at busy periods.
- Mentorship opportunities - allows current employees to become trusted mentors and develop their mentoring skills.
University internship placement schemes
There are a number of local universities offering internship schemes for their students, and work with employers to provide the best student and graduate talent to meet businesses needs.