Richmondshire District Council

Hazardous waste

Changes in the law mean that some household items are now classed as hazardous waste.

They include:

  • Televisions
  • Computer monitors
  • Microwaves
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Fridges
  • Freezers

If they're being collected by us as a bulky items collection, you will be charged £47 for up to five items. 

You can also take hazardous waste household items to one of North Yorkshire County Council's household waste recycling centres at Gatherley Road, Brompton-on-Swale, or Moor Road, Leyburn.

Private waste contractors deal with hazardous and special waste from trades or businesses.

For more information about hazardous waste, contact the Environment Agency on 03708 506506, or visit GOV.UK's website.


Special precautions may be needed when moving or disposing of asbestos

North Yorkshire County Council's website has more information. And health and safety advice for those who may be exposed to asbestos at work is available from the Health and Safety Executive's asbestos web page.

A to Z of Services