Richmondshire District Council

Housing benefit overpayment invoice

If you have received an invoice for an overpayment of housing benefit and you will struggle to meet the instalments, please contact us straight away. We may be able to reduce the instalments or agree a suitable, alternative payment plan.

  • If you are not sure how the overpayment occurred, we can go through the details with you. We may even be able to reduce it by applying 'underlying entitlement' 

  • If you disagree with the overpayment, let us know so that we can look into it for you

You can contact the benefits team by emailing or calling 01748 901073. If possible please provide us with the invoice number.  

Failure to get in touch with us about your invoice will result in further recovery action being taken.

Debt advice

If you are struggling with debt and feel overwhelmed, there are a number of free and confidential organisations that can help you.

The following online, secure organisations offer free, immediate, personalised help. Some services are available 24 hours a day.   

A to Z of Services