Richmondshire District Council

Provide original documents

It's important that you provide all the necessary documents to prove your income and identity. This will help us work out your claim more quickly. All documents must be originals as copies are not acceptable.

Proof of identity and National Insurance number

You need to send proof of both you and your partner's identity and National Insurance numbers. Send at least two of the following for both you and your partner:

  • Original birth certificate
  • Driving licence
  • Divorce or annulment papers
  • UK residence permit
  • Life assurance policy
  • Letter from a Solicitor, doctor, social worker or probation office, or the Inland Revenue
  • Wage slips from the current employer
  • Home Office acknowledgement letter
  • Passport
  • Marriage certificate
  • Gas, electric or water bill
  • HM Forces certificate of employment
  • EC or EBA national identity card
  • NHS medical card
  • DWP benefit entitlement letter
  • Bank statement (dated within the last four weeks)
  • Universal Credit award letter

The evidence needed to support a benefits claim

Proof of income

If you're employed you must provide five wage slips in a row if you are paid weekly; three wage slips in a row if paid fortnightly, or two wage slips in a row if paid monthly. Or you can provide a letter from your employer on official company paper. Your proof must include:

  • The name and address of your employer
  • The number of hours worked and the period covered
  • Your income before deductions in the year so far
  • Your income before deductions for the pay period
  • The income tax deducted
  • National Insurance contributions deducted
  • Your pay before and after deductions, and any other deductions for a five-week period
  • Occupational pension or personal pension payments
  • How you are paid, for example cheque, cash or into a bank account

If you receive universal credit, we may need to see your universal credit award letters.

If you or your partner are self-employed, you must send us your most recent accounts. If you can't provide these, or have only recently become self-employed, contact our benefits team.

If you or your partner receive any other benefit, we'll need to see proof of the amount you receive from the DWP, such as an award letter, or bank statement showing payments.

Proof of capital

We will need to see two recent months' bank statements for all accounts, plus statements, passbooks, or certificates showing all savings and investments and how they're invested.

Proof of residency and rent

Tenancy agreement or rent book (or rent account along with letter from your landlord)

This proof must include:

  • The date the agreement started
  • The amount you pay
  • How long the tenancy will last
  • How often you pay the rent
  • The name and business address of your landlord and of the managing agent, if applicable
  • What's included in the rent, such as meals, gas, electricity
  • Details of rent already paid and the date of payment


Apply for housing benefit

A to Z of Services