Richmondshire District Council

Who can claim

Housing benefit is a means tested benefit calculated and paid by the council.

To make a new claim for housing benefit you must be:

  • On a low income
  • Liable to pay rent or council tax
  • Living in the property
  • Of pensionable age
  • Those who are of working age must be living in supported, sheltered or temporary housing (B&B, refuge, hostel, supported housing with care, support or supervision)

People who work full time or part time, are self-employed or retired can claim, as well as people who are unemployed or can't work because of illness or because they're caring for someone.

Who can't claim

People who can't claim include:

  • Those (apart from some pensioners) who have more than £16,000 in savings or investments
  • Those who pay rent to a close relative who lives in the same property
  • Most students
  • Those who rent a property which they or their partner previously owned
  • Those who can't access public funds under immigration rules
  • Those who receive universal credit
  • Couples or single parents with two or fewer children

Our benefit calculator will help you work out if you qualify.

The amount you receive depends on your financial and personal circumstances and the local housing allowance rate at the time of application.

From 1 April 2017, the rules have changed for people who need an extra bedroom for:

  • An overnight carer for a child
  • Two adults who are unable to share a room due to medical reasons

If this applies to you, contact the benefits team at

How to claim

Please refer to our Apply for housing benefit page for details on how to claim.  

If you are liable to pay council tax, you can apply for council tax reduction on the same online form.

A to Z of Services