Richmondshire District Council

If you're receiving housing benefit or universal credit but still can't manage to pay your rent, you may be entitled to extra help.

Discretionary housing payments (DHP) are not payments of benefit but you must already be entitled to housing benefit or universal credit housing costs for us to consider your case.

There are no set rules about the amount we can give you, or the circumstances in which it will be awarded. We look at each case individually. Any award is granted for a fixed period and shouldn't be relied on as a long-term solution to any short-term fall in the level of housing benefit or universal credit you receive.

Every year, the Government sets the amount of DHP money we can award. Once it's been spent, we can't make any more payments that year, whatever your circumstances.

In some cases, it might not be possible to make a full or even partial award of DHP.

Apply for DHP

A to Z of Services