Richmondshire District Council

Eligibility for discretionary housing payment

You can get a discretionary housing payment if you're already getting housing benefit or universal credit housing costs but don't get the full amount because:

  • We're making a non-dependant deduction from your benefit because of an adult living with you, other than your partner
  • Your housing benefit has been reduced because of the benefit cap
  • You're a council tenant or a housing association tenant and are affected by the “bedroom tax”
  • You're a private tenant and we think your rent is too high
  • Your income means you don't get full housing benefit
  • You're moving and need help with a rent deposit or rent in advance
  • You're moving to a more affordable property and need help with removal costs
  • You're receiving universal credit housing costs but you're moving and need help paying rent on both properties for a period of time

We aim to look at your application within 15 working days of receiving it. If you're successful, DHP awards are included with your payments of housing benefit. If you receive universal credit, you will usually receive any award directly into your bank account.

Apply for DHP

A to Z of Services