Our 2021-22 scheme
Council tax reduction is an income-related discount applied to your council tax, and paid by the council.
To claim it you must be:
- On a low income
- Liable to pay council tax
- Living in the property
People who work full time or part time, are self-employed or retired can claim. Also those people who are unemployed or can't work because of illness or because they're caring for someone can claim.
Changes to our 2021-22 scheme
These changes only affect working age people:
- You must have a total of £6,000 or less in savings or investments
- You can ask for your claim to be backdated to either 1 April 2021 or the start of your liability whichever is the latest. You must be able to provide proof of income and savings/investments throughout the period you have asked for and provide details of who lived in your household during this time
- We will no longer apply the minimum income floor to self-employed income, and will use the information you provide on our self-employed income form
- If your weekly council tax reduction changes by more or less than £5 per week, the amount of council tax reduction we award will not change
For further details, please read our 2021-22 reduction scheme.
Who can't claim
People who can't claim include:
- Working age people who have more than £6,000. Also most pensioners who have more than £16,000 in savings or investments
- Those who live with a close relative who is liable to pay council tax
- Most students
- Those who can't access public funds under immigration rules
Our benefits team calculates and pays council tax reduction. The amount you receive depends on your financial and personal circumstances at the time of application.
If you qualify for council tax reduction you will receive a new council tax bill showing how much you are entitled to. You will not receive any letters. If you want to know how your reduction has been worked out, please call the benefits team on 01748 829100 or email email@example.com
Our benefit calculator will help you work out if you qualify.
How to claim
Please refer to our Apply for council tax reduction page for details on how to claim.