Richmondshire District Council

Personal data

This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why Richmondshire District Council processes your personal data.

This notice should be read in conjunction with the council’s service specific privacy notices.

You may also want to read our helpful definitions page to understand some of the terminology we use.

Who are you?

Richmondshire District Council is a ‘Data Controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This means that the council has a duty of care towards the personal data that it collects and uses.

The council has appointed Veritau Ltd to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:

Information Governance Office
Veritau Ltd
County Hall
Racecourse Lane

Telephone: 01609 532526

What data do you collect which is about me?

In order to deliver our services the council needs to collect and use your personal data and sometimes your special category personal data.

We will only collect the data we need and if we don’t need your personal data we will keep it anonymous.

Why do you need my personal data?

We may need to use and collect your personal data, and sometimes your special category personal data, so that we can:

  • Deliver, manage, and check the quality of services that we provide to you
  • Investigate complaints or concerns raised by you or other individuals
  • Assist with the research and planning of new services

Who has access to my personal data within the council?

We may share your data between services within the council so that we can keep our information on you as up-to-date as possible and so that we can improve our services to you.

Council officers may only access your personal data if they require it to perform a task. There are procedures and checks in place to ensure that officers can not use your data for their own personal benefit.

Who do you share my personal data with?

Third party processors

In order to deliver the best possible service the council often uses third party organisations. These organisations will sometimes require access to your personal data in order to complete their work. If the council does use a third party organisation it will always have an agreement in place to ensure that the other organisation keeps your data secure.

Other organisations

Occasionally the council is required to pass your data to other organisations. This could be because of a legal requirement or because a court orders the council to do so.

For example the council may need to share information with the police to help prevent or detect a crime. The council may not have to tell you if we do share with other organisations.

Statutory functions

The council’s internal auditors, counter fraud service, data protection officer, and external auditors may also have access to your personal data in order to complete their work. 

The council will only share personal data with another organisation if it has a lawful basis to do so and will always keep records of when your data has been disclosed to another organisation.

National Fraud Initiative

The council also collects and uses your data for the National Fraud Initiative (NFI). Please see the Council’s NFI privacy notice for more information.

How do you protect my personal data?

The council is committed to keeping the personal data that it holds safe from loss, corruption or theft. It has a number of measures in place to do this including:

  • Training for all officers and elected councillors on how to handle personal data
  • Policies and procedures detailing what officers can and can not do with personal data
  • A number of IT security safeguards such a firewalls, encryption, and virus protection software
  • On site security safeguards to protect physical files and electronic equipment

What is your lawful basis for processing my personal data?

There are a number of lawful reasons for the council to collect and use your personal data. The service specific privacy notices, which can be navigated at the end of this notice, will tell you which lawful basis the council is relying on for that specific process.

Unless the council is using your data based on consent or to carry out obligations under contract then it will be relying on a legal obligation or public task.

How long do you keep my personal data for?

The council will only keep your personal data for as long as it is required to fulfil the purpose it was collected for or for as long as is required by legislation.

There are different retention periods for different types of information. The service specific privacy notices, which can be navigated at the end of this notice, will tell you how long that service area may keep your information for.

Do you transfer my data outside of the UK?

Generally the information that the council holds is all held within the UK. However, some information may be held on computer servers which are held outside of the UK. The council will take all reasonable steps to ensure your data is not processed in a country that is not seen as ‘safe’ by the UK or EU government.

If the council does need to send your data out of the EU it will ensure it has extra protection from loss or unauthorised access.

What are my data protection rights?

Data protection legislation gives you, the data subject, a number of rights in regards to your personal information. We have a dedicated webpage which explains what these rights are and how you can exercise them.

How do I complain about the way in which you have handled my personal data?

If you have concerns about the way in which the council has handled your personal data then please contact our data protection officer (Veritau Ltd) at the address provided above. 

You may also want to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (the data protection regulator) about the way in which the council has handled your personal data. You can do so by contacting:

First Contact Team
Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow Cheshire

Telephone: 03031 231113 

View Information Commissioner's Officer website

Other privacy notices

This privacy notice is Richmondshire District Council’s main privacy notice but you may also want to view privacy notices specific to:

If you are an employee of Richmondshire District Council then you may want to read the employment privacy notice which can be found on the council’s intranet or by requesting it from the data protection officer.

A to Z of Services