This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why revenues process your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with the council’s corporate privacy notice and other purpose-specific notices which can be found at the end of this page.
Who are we?
Richmondshire District Council is a ‘Data Controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The council has appointed Veritau Ltd to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
Tel: 01609 532526
What personal information do we collect?
- Dates of occupation
- Contact telephone numbers
- Contact email addresses
- Council tax and non-domestic rate liabilities
- Entitlement to relief ie single persons discount, student status etc
- Bank details
- Payments made
- Recovery/enforcement action taken
- Employment details
- Unemployment details
- Pensioner if on council tax reduction
- Being a council tenant
Why do we collect your personal information?
- Statutory requirements eg reporting to government
- Collection of council tax and rates
- Regulatory, licensing and enforcement functions
- Prevention and detection of crime inc fraud
- Collection of debt
- Collection of overpaid benefits
- Service improvement and planning
- Official statistical research purposes
Who do we share this information with?
- Judicial agencies ie courts
- Government departments eg HMRC/DWP
- Immigration services
- Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- The Valuation Office Agency
How long do we keep your information for?
As detailed in The Local Government Finance Act 1992
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
We process your personal information in accordance with our public task and legal obligations including:
- The Local Government Finance Act 1988
- The Local Government Finance Act 1992
- The Localism Act 2011
For more information about how the council uses your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.