This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why Richmondshire District Council’s returning officer processes your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with the council’s corporate privacy notice and other purpose-specific notices which can be found at the end of this page.
Who are we?
The Returning Officer is a ‘Data Controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The council has appointed Veritau Ltd to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
What personal information do we collect?
- Election staff – name, address, nationality, date of birth, national insurance number, bank account details, contact details
- Nominations – name, address, description, contact details, signature, agent’s name, address, office, contact details, signature, name and signature of proposer, seconder and assentors
- Polling venues – venue details, name, address, contact details of booking agent, keyholder(s), account payee, bank account details, any notes
- Personal data collected to produce the electoral registration is included in our privacy notice for electoral registration officer
Why do we collect your personal information?
We keep records about potential and actual electors, voters, citizens, candidates and their agents, staff employed at an election or as canvassers, venues used as polling or counting stations. These may be written down, or kept on a computer.
Who do we share this information with?
We share contact details of polling station staff, polling station keyholders with each other and our external contractor.
Staff payment details are shared with our payroll provider and with HMRC.
How long do we keep your information for?
The Returning Officer is obliged to process your personal data in relation to preparing for and conducting elections. Your details will be kept and updated in accordance with our legal obligations and in line with statutory retention periods.
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
We process your personal information in accordance with our public task and legal obligations including:
- Representation of Peoples Act 1983
- Representation of Peoples Act 1985
- Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000
- Representation of the Peoples Act 2000
- Representation of the Peoples Regulations 2001
- Electoral Administration Act 2006
- Local Elections (Principal Areas) (England and Wales) Rules 2006
- Local Elections (Parishes and Communities) (England and Wales) Rules 2006
- Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013
- Electoral Registration (Disclosure of Electoral Registers) Regulations 2013
For more information about how the council uses your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.