Public spaces privacy notice
This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why public spaces process your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with the council’s corporate privacy notice and other purpose-specific notices which can be found at the end of this page.
Who are we?
Richmondshire District Council is a ‘Data Controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The council has appointed Veritau Ltd to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
What personal information do we collect?
- Telephone numbers
- Email address
Why do we collect your personal information?
Information is collected to facilitate the following services:
- Cemeteries/burials (to ensure we have the correct information so the burial can take place and to keep a record of plot purchases)
- Annual car park permits (to facilitate the purchase of annual passes and to inform individuals when this is up for renewal)
- Pest control services (to carry out pest control treatment )
Who do we share this information with?
Information is kept within Richmondshire District Council and is not routinely shared with other organisations.
How long do we keep your information for?
- Cemetery records are kept for 99 years due to the lease agreement on plots
- Annual car park permits- financial information is kept for 7 years
- Pest control- financial information is kept for 7 years
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
We process your personal information in accordance with our public task and legal obligations including:
- GDPR Article 6(1)(e) processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the official authority vested in the controller (parking permits and pest control)
- Cemeteries Clauses Act 1847 (Cemeteries)
- Burial Act 1852, 2008 (Cemeteries)
For more information about how the council uses your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.