This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why environmental health process your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with the council’s corporate privacy notice and other purpose-specific notices which can be found at the end of this page.
Who are we?
Richmondshire District Council is a ‘Data Controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The council has appointed Veritau Ltd to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
What personal information do we collect?
- Contact telephone numbers
- Contact email address
- Payment details
- Payments made
- Audio recordings
- Date and place of birth
- Ownership or rental details
- Medical information in certain circumstances eg when investigating infectious disease notifications
Why do we collect your personal information?
- Statutory requirements
- Regulatory, licensing and enforcement functions
- Service improvement and planning
Who do we share this information with?
- Service partners including police, social services, Public Health England, Environment Agency
- Government departments
- Immigration services
How long do we keep your information for?
Retained in line with Environmental Health legislation including:
- Private Water Supplies Regulations 2016 (30 years);
- Environmental Protection Act 1990 (5 years – indefinitely)
- The Food Safety Act 1990 (3 – 5 years)
- Health and Safety at Work etc. (3 – 5 years)
- Housing Act 2004 (6 years – indefinitely)
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
We process your personal information in accordance with our public task and legal obligations including:
- Environmental Protection Act 1990
- Housing Act 2004
- Housing and Planning Act 2016
- Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999
- Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984
- Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974
- Food Safety Act 1990
- Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976
- Building Act 1984
- Control of Pollution Act 1974
- Clean Air Act 1993
For more information about how the Council uses your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.